Random musings of a college teacup

Random musings of a college teacup
who was brought up in sunshine breeding.

Monday, February 8, 2010

French buff


After finishing the French exam this afternoon, I got the chance to walk alongside my French prof, sir Yap, who asked me how the exam was. I honestly thought it was fairly easy. Not so easy but not so hard either if you study. I rarely get to take tests of this kind; the type that I have enough edge and confidence to ace.

Anyway, as we made our way down that flight of stairs in Bel, he told me: "To be honest, non-European Studies majors actually perform better than the EU majors themselves."
I shot him an unconvinced look, as if waiting for a short elaboration. So he went on to explain that EU majors are actually taking up French because they're required to do so...unlike non-EU majors  (such as myself - - - WEH!) they take it out of interest. And when you think about it, there is some truth to that. At least for me and the people I know. We had the choice not to burden ourselves with this added weight of work, but we still chose to do so. 
Not that I completely agree with him on the former point, but I do with the latter one. I guess it's safe to say that I am taking up this class out of mere fascination for this beautiful language and its culture. There's nothing else in the world I could have this huge heart for except learning French... Well, that and videography, of course.
And that reminds of me the foster parents I've lived with in France. I'm grateful to have lived with natives who have the patience for a kid who would turn to pointless charades when she couldn't be good enough to express herself in the language that they speak.


6 comments:

  1. One day I'll go to France without knowing any french except for Audrey Tautau's name, which I can't even pronounce properly.


    /siiiigh. I just love listening to people speak french <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille!! Let's go together. And I shall teach you French, so you can pretend to know how to speak the language so you'll get lots of discounts when we go shopping at the flea markets! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG YES PLEASE. Maybe we can plan it and then have a target date/year so I can work towards saving up money for the trip. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika and I were hoping we could go back after grad. Let's hope and pray. Then let's work something out! On y va en France!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, okay! Hmmm, yeah, let's talk about it so I'd know around how much a trip would be. O:

    ReplyDelete