Random musings of a college teacup

Random musings of a college teacup
who was brought up in sunshine breeding.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My first ever paycheck ... not

I was on my way home this afternoon when I got a text from the accounting office informing me about my first EVER paycheck. (Uy...someone's growing up). Hahaha. But before you get too excited, lemme stop you there and tell you that the check has now gone stale. Apparently, one of the websites I designed for an event last year did not advice me on the payment they've intended for a poor innocent student who had no other experience prior to this. And no one from the school dept decided to notify me beforehand.
Last year, at a time when I was just designing websites and drowning myself in the world of graphic design, I was asked to render services for orgs and events, none of which had ever proposed to pay me in any form. Having felt that all the projects assigned to me were more like play and less like work, I decided to regard them as works of art good enough to put on portfolio.

But going back to the subject of receiving my first EVER paycheck, I headed straight to the accounting office to see if there's still a way to claim it. Ambassador Manalo was signing checks and validation papers when I arrived, so I had to wait for (let's just say) a while before anyone can attend to me. And that was fine. Who would prioritize a student over a senior Spanish ambassador anyway? :)) Such a lovely grown woman, she is. She practically used "very kind" everytime her concerns are being addressed, as if replacing "thank you" with it.

Anyhooo, I waited for the secretary to make several calls to Mirlab, the client, to track down my performance record...only to tell me once again that the check's gone stale. But since the site I made is still up and running, they're going to file for another check for me. And depending on the rate of how the whole dept chairs and client signatures go, it's going to take a week to a month to get that processed. - - -> Is this how long these kind of things are sorted out?
Man, I've got to learn about these type of things. I'm graduating in a year's time!
Grow up, young lady, grow up!

3 comments:

  1. Before I got my first paycheck, it took weeks too. And it'll be probably longer once you need to give them your TIN number and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Cam. I'm starting to get a feel of how the real world is. You and your peers certainly have more experience than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really, haha. I still want to stay a student a bit longer, but not as a student in ADMU :))

    ReplyDelete